Saturday, 16 May 2015

Maca Oats with Chia seeds, Strawberries and Vanilla

Drama school can be exhausting (but obviously it's all worth it!) I have to make sure I get a really good breakfast in the morning otherwise I really start to lag physically and mentally throughout the day. This pretty much always involves some form of porridge, but recently I bought some maca powder after reading about it's energy boosting properties and I've been trying to include it in my morning porridge ever since.
This is currently my favourite breakfast after I bought a huge punnet of strawberries from Lidl for one pound! (It is possible to still eat well on a restrictive student budget!). I love eating this alongside a huge latte made with almond milk, although I definitely feel like I need less coffee in a morning now I'm having maca in my breakfast.
To make this you will need: 
1/2 cup of porridge oats
1/4 cup sultanas
1 heaped teaspoon of maca powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of chia seeds
2 cups of water or almond milk
handful of chopped strawberries

The great thing about this recipe is that most of the prep is done the night before, so you don't have too much messing around to do on a busy morning. Soaking the oats overnight really gives them a better texture in my opinion. First add the water/ almond milk (either works fine in this recipe, I just tend to use water for easiness) to the oats, sultanas and chia seeds. Stir in the vanilla extract and leave in the fridge overnight. In the morning take this out of the fridge and microwave on medium for 3 minutes. If it is looking too solid when you take it out the fridge, add a tiny bit more liquid before microwaving. Once piping hot, stir in the teaspoon of maca and top with the chopped up strawberries. Enjoy!

I hope this was an enjoyable read. I thought I'd try something a bit different as doing my MA course is leaving me little time to do outfit posts because being at drama school means you just wear black joggers and t-shirts for 5 days a week! I'm super interested in vegetarian and vegan cooking as well as vintage clothing, so I thought I'd try and share a few recipes, and try to incorporate these with outfit posts and beauty reviews as as often as I am able :)

No comments:

Post a Comment